Friday, March 2, 2012

22% of Gambia’s active labour force unemployed

At least 22 percent of The Gambia’s active labour force is without employment, and more than 40 % of those who are employed live below the poverty line of $1.25 per day.

Mr Samba Jallow of the Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs, said according to the result of the Integrated Household Survey (IHS), the unemployment rate for the population aged 15 – 64 is 22 per cent but 5 per cent of the surveyed population did not report on their employment status.  Employment rate for the same age group is 73 per cent.


However, he pointed out that 40 per cent of all those who are employed do not earn enough to pull themselves and their families above the poverty line of $1.25 per day.  The working-poor is higher for the population aged 15 – 24 and lowest for the population aged 30 to 34 with 49 per cent and 35 per cent living respectively on less than $1.25 per day.



Mr Jallow
During the 2011 May Day (Workers Day) celebration in the country, The Gambia National Trade Union Congress (GNTUC) has called on the government to increase salaries and wages “without inflation on price commodities”, but this called is not heeded by the government authorities.


The IHS survey shows that the proportion of the population employed in the agriculture sector, the largest employment sector, is 44 per cent with 60 per cent being females and males accounting for the remaining 40 per cent.

The Gambia’s former Minister of Trade and Employment, Baboucarr HM Jallow, has once noted that the issue of acute unemployment has great consequences in the drive towards reducing poverty in the country.

The latest report of the International Monetary Fund on The Gambia has revealed that majority of Gambia’s 1.8 million people still lives in poverty despite “robust economic growth” over the years.  The latest survey on the country’s poverty situation states that the 58 per cent of the population lives in poverty.  

However, with the full implementation of the government’s recently launched Programme for Accelerated Growth and Employment (PAGE), Gambia national development plan for the period 2012-2015, the poverty situation is expected to at least reduced.

Despite such initiative, unemployment and underemployment still persist in the country in as more and more people graduate from the senior secondary schools, university and college to enter the already-saturated job market.

8 comments:

  1. However, in all of the discussion on this topic, one subject is usually overlooked.
    Some schools even require gaining experience first as a prerequisite in your application to the university.
    Step 3: Determine the goal(s) you would like to achieve during
    each session.
    Also visit my web site ; counselling and psychotherapy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell to her ear
    and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic
    but I had to tell someone!
    Look at my site diet plan for women

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe that this website needs far more attention.
    I'll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the info!

    my web-site coupons

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is in fact a fastidious one it helps new net users, who are wishing in favor of blogging.


    My homepage :: http://nuvagenicsite.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would
    really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your design.
    Cheers

    Here is my homepage - I found it

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's up, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am too happy to share my familiarity here with friends.

    Check out my homepage: For more Info

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also don't telefonsex think that prostitution is wrong, girlfriend! How did I ever had an orgasm for their personal lives and families but we do know is anyone with a bottle of red. As a doctor, he became intrigued by the story of me having telefonsex with an ex, they will have an enormous amount of emotion to get through. As you become more adventurous or partake in more role playing scenarios, think up new ways to make money at the bed.

    ReplyDelete